LA CASA PILATOS
The initial construction of the palace was begun by Pedro Enríquez de Quiñones (1435-1492), IV Chief Governor of Andalucía, a noble title bestowed by the King, and his second wife Catalina de Rivera, founder of the Casa de Alcalá, and completed by their son Fadrique Enríquez de Rivera (1476 - 1539), First Marquess of Tarifa.
In 1518 Don Fadrique departed on a Grand Tour of Europe and the Holy Land. Two years later he returned, enraptured by the architectural and decorative wonders of High Renaissance Italy. He spent the rest of his life fashioning a new aesthetic style of palace, which became very influential. Don Fadrique's palace was called the Palacio de San Andrés, but from 1754 was referred to as the House of Pilate because some considered that it resembled Pontius Pilate's home in Jerusalem.
The palace has been added to over the years, and rooms have been named along the theme of the Passion of Christ: Hall of the Praetorian, Chapel of the Flagellations. The Large Garden and surrounds were a major addition. It was declared a National Monument in 1931. Whilst the palace still serves as the permanent residence of the Dukes of Medinaceli.
The Real Alcázar
The Alcazar of Sevilla is one of the oldest royal palaces still in use in the world. A palace that has lived through different eras, from the late eleventh century to the modern day, and whose walls have stood watch as a host of contrasting cultures left their prints on the city of Sevilla as they passed.
The Alcazar bears faithful testimony to the history of Sevilla, a city moulded by a great diversity of cultures and the legacies they have left behind. Take a stroll through the palace paths, in the shade of the orange and myrtle trees, and you’ll be taken back to another time, another place – an era which has, undoubtedly, shaped the course of our city’s history.
CATHEDRAL OF ST. MARY OF THE SEE
The largest Gothic temple in the world
Also known as the Cathedral of St. Mary of the See, it is the largest Gothic cathedral in the world and the third Christian temple after St. Peter’s in Rome and St. Paul’s in London. Since the conquest of the city, on November 23, 1248, the building of the aljama, or the Almohad Mosque, was converted into the cathedral of the archdiocese of the Kingdom of Seville.
The construction changed the liturgical orientation of the mosque, which was towards the south, for the Christian orientation towards the east, placing the Main Chapel on the east side. With the passage of time, the walls, facades and pillars were covered with altarpieces and paintings. At the end of the fourteenth century, the mosque was badly damaged, at risk of ruin. The cathedral Cabildo decided to demolish the Almohade building to build a Christian cathedral. Its construction was carried out in several phases over more than 500 years, resulting in a mixture of several architectural styles that provide its special beauty..
The cathedral is also the burial site of Christopher Columbus. It was registered in 1987 by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site, along with theAlcázar palace complex and the General Archive of the Indies.